The Affordable Care Act (ACA), formerly known as the Patient Protection And Affordable Care Act, was signed into law by President Barack Obama in March 2010. This is why this health reform is commonly referred to as Obamacare.
But what exactly is Obamacare, and how do you qualify for cheaper health care?
Obamacare aims to make health care accessible and affordable for all U.S. citizens.
While Obamacare is available across the U.S., Each state has its own rules and enrollment process.
In this guide on how to sign up for Obamacare in West Virginia, we explain what the Affordable Care Act is and how you qualify for it.
About Obamacare In West Virginia
Obamacare in West Virginia makes it possible for people to buy health insurance regardless of income level. However, low-income households benefit from special subsidies that lower the cost of health insurance.
West Virginians without health insurance can now apply for health insurance coverage during the Affordable Care Act Open Enrollment period.
The Open Enrollment Period generally begins on November 1st and ends on January 15th.
If you want to sign up for Obamacare in West Virginia outside of open enrollment, you’ll need to qualify for a special enrollment.
Events that qualify for special enrollment include:
- A change in marital status
- If you had a baby or adopted a child
- If you turn 26 and lose coverage under your parent’s plan
- Moving states
- Losing cover through a job or through someone else’s job
- Become newly eligible for Marketplace coverage because you’ve become a lawfully present individual
Residents of West Virginia can enroll through HealthCare.gov because the state uses a partnership health insurance exchange. However, the state is involved in qualified health plan certification, plan management, and oversight of the policies purchased through the exchange. According to the partnership, West Virginia oversees organizations that offer health insurance plans through the exchange.
Who Is Eligible For Obamacare in West Virginia?
If you legally reside in the U.S., you most likely qualify to enroll in Obamacare. You do not qualify for Obamacare if you are incarcerated or have Medicare coverage.
You are also not eligible for Obamacare if you refuse to file income tax or are married but file your tax separately.
Did West Virginia Accept Obamacare?
All states in America must offer Obamacare to the residents of their state. Although there have been ongoing attempts by Republicans to repeal the entire ACA, they have been unsuccessful, and the law still stands.
When Obamacare was first introduced, it was also mandatory for all American citizens to have health coverage. Failing to enroll in health insurance resulted in a tax penalty. The part of the ACA making sign-up mandatory for all was repealed in 2019 though.
Under the Affordable Care Act, states can expand Medicaid eligibility to nonelderly people with incomes up to 138 percent of the federal poverty level. Twelve holdout states have not adopted the Medicaid expansion. West Virginia’s leaders, however, opted to expand Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act.
How To Sign Up For Obamacare In West Virginia
In West Virginia Using a health insurance broker like Enhance Health makes your enrollment simple and stress free.
While you can sign up on the national marketplace website, the variety of plans and understanding the fine print can feel overwhelming.
At Enhance Health one of our trained agents can help you choose the best option for you. Simply give us a call and chat with one of our knowledgeable insurance agents.
We’ll walk you through the process and outline all your options in detail. Our goal is to help you understand exactly what you’d be getting with your Obamacare plan.
When you know what your options are and what they entail, you will be able to make an informed decision about your health care coverage. Once you’ve made your decision, we can help you sign up and activate your chosen policy.
What Do You Need To Sign Up For Obamacare In West Virginia?
Before you sign up for Obamacare in West Virginia, there are several essential points to consider:
- Your income for the current year that you are covered determines whether you qualify for subsidized healthcare. Don’t use the past-due income listed on your tax return from the past year. When you apply for subsidies, you must estimate your income.
- What if your income exceeds your estimate during the year? In that case, you may have to pay back part of or all the subsidy dollars applied to your monthly health insurance premiums.
- If you earn less than your estimated income, you may be due additional subsidies that will be applied when you file your taxes at year-end.
Have the following documents on hand to ensure a smooth enrollment process:
- Social Security Numbers (or document numbers for legal immigrants)
- Estimated incomes for the year you’re applying for cover.
- Income information for every household member who needs health coverage.
- Medical history – Pre-existing health conditions will not affect the cost of health insurance under Obamacare. Smoking, weight, and age affect the cost.
- Employer details, including contact number and address
If you need cost effective health insurance, Obamacare offers you a solution.
You can apply for Obamacare subsidies through the government-run health insurance marketplace in West Virginia or contact us for advice and assistance with finding a plan best suited to your needs.
Enhance Healthhave licensed agents who will help determine if you are eligible for Obamacare subsidies.
Signing up for Obamacare in West Virginia doesn’t need to be a stressful process. We’re here to help guide you through the process from start to finish.